The story of our Carol a.k.a. 'spud'
As most of you know Carol did make it to the meet in the end, sadly on a trailer but better than not at all!
We actually ran out of people to take cars for us, I wanted to bring Yasushi too to show everyone what driving a spaceship is like hehe
But anyway... CAROL!
Thank you for all the positive comments, cheered Jamie up a lot after me hijacking his birthday!
So we did what any normal couple does on a Monday evening, stripped the head in the kitchen!
I'm just hoping our landlord never sees all of these pictures! hehe
No worrys that it wasnt done in time for the meet, we all still got to see it :smile: and the good news is its getting there bit at a time and will be really great when it all finally comes together :thumb:
Only thing i will say after seeing at the meet...it definatly 110% needs some new rear shocks...i think it would bounce less if it had none on atall LMAO
I also have desided that i want all car owners manuals to be like the carol`s(except in english) :happy:
Oh yeah Dazran, new shocks are a must hehe.
So today we did what any normal couple would do on a week's holiday from work... went and bothered the local small businesses for bits that look like they might fit a Carol hehe
First stop was the local engine machine shop, we dropped the head off with them about 11am.
Then we headed off to a small car parts shop to try and match up some head bolts. They had nothing on their system and didn't keep any bolts in stock - disappointing! So then we headed to our local fasteners shop and got some matching head bolts! Huzzah! \o/
Then I made Jay... I mean Jay offered to buy me lunch.
Then off to see my friends and former colleagues at Euro Car Parts where we picked up a set of spark plugs.
Then we headed off to Halfrauds and picked up some instant gasket and an exhaust joint... we also picked up some oil which we hope is the right stuff (it was what they had listed for a cappuccino - 10w 40 semi).
Then we headed back to the machine shop to pick up our head:
He said the head was massively warped just as we'd expected (having explained the story when we dropped it off), as a result the final finish isn't desirable at all. Cylinder 3 is fine, but you can see cylinder 2 has gone down to the first step - creating a crescent indentation in the circle, then cylinder 1 is more of a heart shape as it's gone down to the second step. This gives you an indication of how badly it was warped.
Jamie had been reading the documentation that came with the car last week and noted that the split hose we found and thought we may have caused was first spotted in 2006... yet nothing was done about it. Clearly Carol's hose split back then and later overheated causing the head gasket to fail most probably due to excessive warping of the head. Why on earth would you run a car that's overheating that badly until then I don't know???
So we're going to get a standard head gasket, put the head on and see if the pistons and valves clash. If they don't I just hope the ECU can cope with the uneven compression ratios over the 3 cylinders. If we get a clash we might have to try and source a new head... Perhaps the rumoured breaker in Oxford might be a go-er!
I've ordered some exhaust gasket material so we can have a go at making our own. If we can't do a good enough job on that we'll order one from Japan.
Now we need to replace that hose, and probably the rest just in case, get a replacement oil filter and some coolant. Then we should be good to go on building her back up.
Best way I've found of cutting an exhaust gasket is to clamp the material between a couple of sheets of 2mm alloy then drill all the holes and cut out the rest with a fine hacksaw blade in a jigsaw, or you can just trash a set of very sharp scissors
a few sites which may be of help......
http://www.classiccarama.com/classic-car-parts/advert/trim-seals-and-rubber-extrusions-by-phoenix-suppli/...these did have their own site, seems to be for sale at moment....a selection of seals , trim etc of all shapes and sizes
- Posts: 1383
- Thank you received: 2
I see what you mean with the skimmed head, did they say how much they had to remove?
At least you have a manual dizzy for tweaking the ign. Timing. Fingers crossed for you!
Thanks for the links Dave.
Russ - I didn't ask how much they've taken off, but if you run your finger from the step to the machined surface you can't feel any difference. I don't think they've taken a lot off, but it just seem dramatic!
I got some baby wipes and a little bit of truck wash and cleaned up the head.
We changed the clutch, there was some wear on it and the release bearing didn't seem too healthy.
I cleaned up the faces and we fitted the block and gearbox back into Carol.
Our gasket material arrived really quickly so we'll start making those up, our hoses are here too.
All we need now is the head gasket which I hope is on it's way to us.
We ordered some silicon hose from Roose Motorsport as suggested by skattrd (Thanks a lof matey). It came really quickly and is top stuff!
So we replaced the hose that had split and probably caused the head gasket to go in the first place:
As we had to buy it by the m we decided to start replacing some other pipes too!