The story of our Carol a.k.a. 'spud'
Dizzy cap arrived very quickly and it does indeed fit! Our head gasket search was also successful and that's fitted now, and we have our new HT leads!
I made up a new exhaust gasket:
And we carried on re-fitting the engine back into Carol:
Jay then fitted the cambelt and turned her over by hand, we did a complete revolution and there were no issues!
Cam cover, radiator and a lot of the other aux. parts are back in, though we seem to have broken one of the vac pipes and the red sensor on the EPI system.. we also seem to have more holes for vac hoses than hoses... which is very weird, but we'll try fire her up and see what happens if she doesn't work properly.
Need to try and get one of the sensors out of the old exhaust, continue putting everything back and then the dreaded first turn of the key!!!!
There's not a lot left to do now though, and I've ordered some new shocks. She'll need at least 2 new tyres on the rear and then we'll take her for an MOT to see if she needs any more work.
Like our neighbours thought we were normal anyway?
So out in the dark we fitted the rotor arm and dizzy cap (they certainly fit- can't tell you if they work yet though)
We also fitted the new HT leads:
We need to shorten the radiator top hose as it's a little too long, but we made it longer just in case - as grandad always said "you can take more off, but you can't put it back on".
Not a lot left to do now.
So tonight we fitted everything back in except the drive shafts, exhaust and fluids!
We hooked up the battery and tried all the lights:
We tried out the electric roof too! It works! YYAAAYYY! The tracks need greasing up though, so we'll do that tomorrow too.
We would've filled up the fluids and started her except our neighbours put up with our craziness as it is, I don't think they'd appreciate us starting her up without the exhaust!!!
Unfortunately very little work done today, we're still fighting off SwineDeathBirdPlaguePox which doesn't help.
Managed to get some anti-freeze today for a ridiculously low price from Euro Car parts which cheered me up! Sadly Jamie didn't have as much luck.
After a mix up during the rebuild Jamie had to remove the drive shafts to get them back on the right side of the anti-roll bar. Jay jacked up Carol to stem the flow of gearbox oil and removed the shaft, gearbox fluid then gushed out! He couldn't then get the drive shaft back in to stop the oil coming out! After much struggling and fighting on his own with Carol (I was at work at the time) he managed to get the shaft back on the right side and back in the box. Similar story on the other side. So by the time I got home he'd only just managed to finish the other side. Poor Jay!
So we'll try again tomorrow.
After chatting with the guys at work I'd like to take a look at the fuel before we try start her too... having been sat for 5 years the fuel could be more like jelly and cause a whole heap of trouble if we try drag it through the system. We've already been through that once with the Mondeo, took months and lots of tanks of fuel to get it all out again.
- Posts: 1383
- Thank you received: 2
Emily for what it takes. I Would take the tank off and give it a good cleaning out, new filter etc. If its the same as mine then it's just held in place with 4 bolts and you don't need to disturb the exhaust, also gives you chance to check for any perished rubber pipes.
Excellent work so far though! :thumb: